Click below for more info on classes & playgroups!

Monday, January 3, 2011

Feeding the Family: Spiced Carrot Muffins

Monty is currently a very picky eater and unfortunately it is leaving him rather constipated. It is so sad to see your child cry when he poops. It wasn't always like this. When he was a baby just learning to eat solid foods he would eat anything... I even made his baby food with added onions, garlic, and even cumin.

But now that he is a toddler, he prefers starchy staples and things covered in cheese (don't we all?!) such as goldfish and pizza and won't touch a vegetable and rarely eats fruit. So I was really excited when a friend of mine made these muffins and Monty gobbled one right up because they are full of carrots! And I made them with Greek yogurt so they have lean protein in them too! This is originally a Martha Stewart Everyday Recipe... enjoy.

Spiced Carrot Muffins

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
4 Tablespoons butter, melted
1 large egg
2-3 cups of shredded carrots

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line 12 cups of a standard muffin tin with paper liners; set aside. In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, pumpkin-pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
  2. In another bowl, whisk together yogurt, butter, and eggs. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture, and add yogurt mixture. Stir until just combined. Fold in carrots. (I had to add a splash of milk to loosen up the batter a bit... maybe you don't have to if you use regular yogurt.)
  3. Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 20 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. My first thought: "oh! I want to make this now!" second thought "bah, no muffin tin"
    third: "no problem I'll just make a loaf instead"
    4th: "bah! I don't have a loaf pan either!"

    This moving malarky really complicates the simple things. But I'm definitely going to try this recipe when all my things arrive and I can bake again. :)

    ReplyDelete