Click below for more info on classes & playgroups!

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

December's Mom of the Month

Our Mom of the Month program allows us to honor one of our Stroller Strides moms for her efforts to lead a healthy lifestyle while getting to know her better at the same time. December's Mom of the Month is Amy Ruetz (aka Marley's mom)!

Amy moved to Raleigh from Baltimore earlier this year and quickly became a beloved member of our mom-community! She faithfully attends 4-5 classes/week and is currently serving as one of our 3 wonderful Playgroup Captains.

Amy spent the fall training for the City of Oaks 1/2 marathon and frequently doubled on up on her daily workout by running a few miles before Stroller Strides class. Fortunately, Marley was a willing training buddy and conveniently took her naps during the run. Amy even inspired a few of our other Stroller Strides moms to join her on her pre-class runs.

We asked Amy a few questions to get to know her a little better and this is what she said...

Hometown: I consider Chicago my home, although I grew up all over PA, NJ, and the midwest.

Education: I went to the University of Colorado for my BA in Communications. I then went on to get my Master's in Elementary Education in Chicago.

Stroller Strides Member since: May 2011

Members of your Family: I have been married to my husband, Mike, for 4 years. We have our amazing daughter, Marley (11 months), dog Tank, and cat Mugatu.

Current/previous Career: I was an elementary teacher (3rd/4th grade).

What was your childhood ambition? I knew I would love to teach, and be a mom. Lucky me, I have everything I always wanted :-)

What does motherhood mean to you? It is the most amazing accomplishment I have ever achieved! It's so cliched but I am so fulfilled with the love of this little person. Every day is a new adventure and I am so excited for this journey for the rest of my life!

What is the furthest you have been from home? I LOVE to travel! I am so lucky to have been to Thailand, explored Eastern Europe, and traveled around Argentina. I would love to share more traveling with my kids in the future.

What has Stroller Strides done for you? What hasn't it done for me? After having a baby, "retiring" from teaching, and moving to NC, Stroller Strides has helped me through all of these transitions! I am so lucky to have formed many friendships, both for me and my baby! I have mentors that I feel comfortable asking parenting questions to and a social calendar filled with fun outings and playdates. I am so happy to be a Playgroup Captain and feel even more connected to this amazing group of moms! Getting a great, daily workout make me feel stonger and healthier than I have ever been!

What is your favorite exercise? If watching reality television does not constitute as exercise, then wall sits and bicep curls would be my favorite. I love the feeling of accomplishment after a good run too!

What is your proudest moment? Prior to being a mom (that would take the cake), having my old students seek me out to tell me they loved coming to school when I was their teacher.

What are three of your favorite things (besides your family!)?
Traveling, being outdoors, laughing

Tell us something about yourself that would surprise us or makes you unique.
I have never lived anywhere for more than 4 years. I have been a vegetarian for half my life (does that make me old?)

If we asked your spouse what they think your best qualities are, what would they say?
I would like to think that my hubby thinks I am fun to be around and am caring and giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment