Click below for more info on classes & playgroups!

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Monkey-See-Monkey-Do

My son is now a toddler... and he doesn't miss a thing. And for better or worse it's Monkey-See-Monkey-Do at our house. It is hilarious to watch him brush his teeth, floss, and drink from a cup at bedtime (just like mom & dad). He stumbles around the house wearing our shoes and loves to dress up in my jewelry (much to his father's chagrin). He even puts his new stuffed dog on a leash and drags her up and down the sidewalk in front of our house (and the poor thing seriously needs a bath in the washing machine because of it!) and uses an old plastic grocery bag to pick up "poop" (so far just sticks- thankfully). He has started to sing along with the songs we sing in Stroller Strides class with his favorites being: Row, Row, Row Your Boat, Twinkle, Twinkle, and the ABCs. He even surprised us the other day by counting to ten.

It is amazing... and a little sobering. It makes me think about what behaviors I'm role-modeling to him on a daily basis and which ones I'd like to see him imitate. I've decided that these are some of the things (because this list is a work in progress) that I want him to imitate...
  1. I want him to know how to exercise and like doing it
  2. I want him to eat his fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean proteins- and like them!
  3. I want him to be kind, gentle, generous and patient with his friends, family, and community
So, I've got to make sure I'm role-modeling these behaviors to him daily because he really doesn't miss a thing. I'll keep taking him to Stroller Strides with me, stock my house with and prepare healthy foods, be kind, gentle, and patient with him, and take him along with me to volunteer (when appropriate). I can't yet figure out how you teach a toddler to share toys though... any suggestions?

What behaviors do you want your children to imitate and how are you going about it? Please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment