Click below for more info on classes & playgroups!

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Training with Resistance Bands

If you've never been to a Stroller Strides class perhaps you've never had the satisfaction of working out with a resistance band. You are missing out!
Resistance bands are rubber tubes with handles on each end. They vary in the resistance they offer. At Stroller Strides of Midtown Raleigh we use the SPRI Xertube in green (less intense) and red (more intense) and if you're feeling particularly tough... both at the same time! For some reason no one has taken me up on that last option yet. Yet.

Why tubing? Easy!
  • Tubes are inexpensive. At Stroller Strides classes we sell replacement tubes for just $10 (grn) or $11 (red). They are also available at many sporting goods stores and online but don't go too cheap... quality matters!
  • Resistance tubing is very portable. My tubing has been all over the US and Mexico on family trips. Those hotel workout rooms are always a disappointment but I'm never without a means to exercise when I've brought my tubing along. Plus- seeing it in my suitcase reminds me to fit in a workout on those busy family trips!
  • Tubing is versatile and effective. You can target all major muscle groups with your resistance tubing exercises. Lower body? Target your medial glutes by side stepping with both feet on the band and a handle in each hand. Upper body? Challenge your biceps by stepping on the band with one or both feet, one handle in each hand and performing a standard bicep curl. You get the idea.
  • Its virtually impossible to achieve this look... maybe you consider that a disadvantage?
So, have I sold you on resistance bands? If you're still not sure then come join me for a Stroller Strides class and I'll show you! And if you need to replace your bands or are ready to upgrade to a higher intensity band just drop me an email: missycurrin@strollerstrides.net and I'll get you set up with a new one.

No comments:

Post a Comment