Click below for more info on classes & playgroups!

Thursday, October 4, 2012

October's Mom of the Month

Our Mom of the Month program honors one of our local Stroller Strides moms for her efforts to live a healthy lifestyle while giving us a chance to get to know her better at the same time. Without further ado, our October Mom of the Month is Jenny Solomon (aka Natan's mom)! Jenny was unanimously nominated by all of our Stroller Strides Instructors for this honor and her efforts and results are further evidence of how deserving she is!

The Solomon Family
 Despite juggling a work-from-home/stay-at-home-mom schedule and getting 2 older children off to school or camp each morning Jenny has been consistently meeting her fitness and weight loss goals by making healthy dietary choices and faithfully attending Stroller Strides classes, group 5K training runs and even running on her own. She's signed up for the City of Oaks 1/2 Marathon coming up later this fall and we have no doubt that she'll take this race in stride as well!

Jenny is always brimming with positivity and can often be overheard encouraging a fellow mom in their motherhood and fitness journey. And on top of that, she has a beautiful singing voice... a welcome accompaniment to our usual loud-but-less-than-harmonious vocal efforts in class!

We've asked Jenny a few questions to get to know her even better and this is what she said...

Hometown:
Dallas, Texas


Education:
B.A. Brown University, Providence, R.I.
Rabbinic Ordination, Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion, Jerusalem/New York
Doctorate in Counseling, Post-Graduate Center for Mental Health, New York


Stroller Strides Member since:
April, 2012


Members of your Family:
Eric (husband), Meirav (9 1/2), Adi (7 1/2), Natan (7 mo.)


Current/previous Career:
Rabbi


What was your childhood ambition?
Rabbi, OB/GYN, or a News Anchor 


What does motherhood mean to you?
Being a mom is the greatest privilege of my life.  The gift of bringing three beautiful souls into this world and giving them roots and wings is my deepest joy. I believe my role as their mother is to create the space for them to grow into the best people they can be— to nurture their strengths and help support them in facing their challenges. My job is to give them unconditional love as well as sufficient boundaries so that they can  function successfully in the world and contribute their unique gifts. I hope and pray they will leave the world better than they found it and find ways to be of service as instruments of peace and justice.


What is the furthest you have been from home?
I have been fortunate to travel all over the world from Brazil to China to Australia, but my most special experience abroad was living in Jerusalem for three years.


What has Stroller Strides done for you?
We waited a very long time for Natan to arrive and I consider it an incredibly precious gift to be his primary caregiver. Being able to exercise and care for Natan at the same time is a privilege I never take for granted. I also love exercising outside— regardless of the weather. Being outside is good for my soul and Natan loves it (most of the time).


What is your favorite exercise?
Running (by myself) and Stroller Strides!


What is your proudest moment?
The experience of giving birth to each of my children are by far my proudest moments. Each birth was totally unique, but I remember the distinct feeling after each of them were born that there was nothing I couldn't do if put my heart and soul into it.


What are three of your favorite things (besides your family!)?
I treasure my relationship with my sister-friends (all of whom live outside of Raleigh), yoga and meditation, and leading meaningful prayer services.


Tell us something about yourself that would surprise us or makes you unique. 
In addition to concentrating in Judaic Studies, I spent a good part of my high school and college years devoted to education and taught in Girls Clubs in South Dallas, public schools in Harlem and Washington Heights (in NYC), and ran a drop-in day camp for two summers in the South Bronx.


If we asked your spouse what they think your best qualities are, what would they say?
My husband is my biggest fan (next to my kids and parents), so when  I asked him this question and he described me as:  "Beautiful. Spiritual. Intellectual. Loving. Devoted Ema (mother). Beloved friend."


Special thanks to our friends at Omega Sports for further honoring our Mom of the Month with a $10 store gift card!

No comments:

Post a Comment