Click below for more info on classes & playgroups!

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Post-Pregnancy Challenge #8: No Time to Eat Right or Take Care of Yourself

I can never seem to find enough hours in the day to do everything I want and need to do. If I get ahead in the laundry then I'm behind in the ironing. If I get the grocery shopping done I run out of time do anything beyond microwaving dinner. There really is never enough time to "do it all" and often the things I sacrifice are eating right and exercising. Does this resonate with anyone else? Please, please tell me I'm not alone (really- I'd love to see some comments)!

Here are some of Lisa Druxman's tips for overcoming this post-pregnancy challenge from her book, "Lean Mommy":
On eating right:
*Choose foods that are nourishing, fast, and easy to prepare. Toss a bag of almonds or walnuts or a banana into your bag when you're packing for baby and you'll be prepared with a healthy snack when the hunger pangs start.
*Plan ahead when you know you'll be eating out and make a healthy menu choice in advance. Most restaurants post their menus and nutritional information online.

On fitting in exercise (turning mothering into me-time):
*Turn your mothering duties into opportunities to exercise. Strap your fussy baby into a Baby Bjorn or sling and do some lower body toning exercises together while you sing or sweet talk your little one out of his or her fussiness. Some squats and lunges will gently rock your baby and firm up those glutes and quads at the same time!
*Give your baby a dose of sunshine and socialization by joining other moms for a Stroller Strides class or stroller walk around the neighborhood. You'll get some exercise and your baby will enjoy some impromptu playgroup time.

Years ago I saw an illustration that has stayed with me. The presenter had a big mason jar and next to it a collection of items. There were rocks, pebbles, sand, and a small pitcher of water. It seemed impossible but they swore they could fit all of these items in the jar at once. You know how they did it? They put the big things in first- the rocks, then the pebbles, then the sand, then the water. The lesson that has stayed with me all these years?

Put the big things in first and all of the smaller things will fit in around them.

(This is an old picture of my husband and I on vacation with our family in Bermuda... see you can fit a lot in if you try!)

No comments:

Post a Comment