Click below for more info on classes & playgroups!

Friday, June 25, 2010

Post-Pregnancy Challenge #3: Too much belly & too many pounds

I had been warned by many who had gone before me not to expect to be able to shimmy into my pre-pregnancy jeans for the post-delivery trip home from the hospital. But I wasn't prepared for how long it took to look and feel like myself again. I remember one particular day when I broke down in tears in my mother-in-law's kitchen because none of my clothes fit. My regular jeans didn't fit up past my thighs, my maternity jeans kept falling down, and my shirts were all too tight or short because of my giant nursing boobs- ahh! It felt like a bad dream- I couldn't even dress myself! Needless to say, sleep deprivation did not help!


Here is a picture of Monty and I a week or so after coming home from the hospital... I'm being vulnerable here people! This is the closest I came to being in front of the camera for several weeks.

The great news is that your stomach, like mine, will naturally recede as you lose your baby weight. Being active and making smart food choices are key to taking off those inches and pounds and following some of Lisa Druxman's tummy-tightening moves will help you do it easily, safely, and in a way that is more likely to result in permanent change. In her book, "Lean Mommy", she recommends the following exercises:
1. Isometric crunch: on your back, knees bent, feet on the ground, hands behind your head to support your neck, raise your upper body (concentrating on bringing your ribcage to your hip bones) and hold for 15 seconds, slowly working up to being able to hold for longer and longer, rest and repeat

2. Oblique crunch*: in same position, cross right ankle over left knee, lift and rotate your torso (leading with your left shoulder) to the right side and hold for 5 seconds, slowly working up to being able to hold for 10 seconds, rest and repeat

*If your doctor told you that you have a split in your abdominal muscles and you should be careful exercising, please inform and consult with your Stroller Strides instructor- we can give you safe modifications!*

No comments:

Post a Comment